•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Sunday 7 July 2013

So I started reading Viral Nation by Shaunta Grimes...

Viral Nation
"Primary school made cabbage soup look like a spoonful of honey. Too many kids, too much noise, too much to remember to do so that she didn't come across like a freak. Knowing every minute of every day that she actually was a freak and there was no hiding it.
She'd learned a lot, but most of it was by fire.
"I don't think so, Clover. The students are older. I don't think there will be as much chaos."
"I hope my roommate isn't an idiot."
"They don't let idiots into the Academy."
Clover shrugged one shoulder. Her pack was starting to drag on it. "They let idiots in everywhere."
I like Clover a lot. She is a very very smart kid, who happens to have autism. While it is difficult for her to forge relationships she has a very strong bond with her brother and I am enjoying reading about them. It is specially good that I've recently started watching Parenthood because I have more of a basis now in how to navigate Clover's character from watching Max Braverman (who has asperger's, a high functioning form of autism). I feel like I am walking around eggshells when I approach this topic because I don't wanna step on anybodies toes (?) but all I have to say is that Suanta Grimes does a beautiful job with Clover's character.

Another thing I am loving about this book is the time traveling! It is so cool, and while the concept of a "Time Mariner" is a bit weird to me (I think it's just the title itself) I am getting a kick out of it all. While I was a little hesitant of starting Viral Nation too soon (I've been reading a lot of dystopian novels so I didn't want it to get lost in all the other stories) I am happy to say that while the concept of a corrupted post apocalyptic society is nothing new the way Shaunta seems to be writing this novel is very interesting, original, and worth picking up. I am only on page 127, will let you know how it turns out.

2 comments:

  1. Wow an autistic heroine. Very brave move on the authors part and about time too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this one as well. I'm about 40% through the book and intrigued as to what is going on. Love the concept of time travel, but only so close in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...