•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Friday 11 May 2012

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Series: Mara Dyer
Book #: 1
Pages: 452
Reading Level: YA
Book Rating: Photobucket
Goodreads Rating: 4.03
Published: Sept. 27th, 2011.

Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.

She’s wrong.

Taschima's POV:

I do not know what to make out of this book. Do I like it? Did I not like it? I think I liked it, a lot, but it did have it's faults. It's just one of those books you really wanted to love, but ended up only liking. The whole idea of the book was pretty original though, I know some people link it to Twilight but I see no similarities at all.

I think the book left a lot to be desired. Like for example, what is going on with Mara Dyer? Who is she? I thought the book was supposed to answer these questions, but in fact it didn't! It just left us with even more questions on top of the questions we come in when we started reading. I mean, you get to know the girl, but I don't don't understand what is up with her. Or for that what is up with the supposedly oh so alluring Noah (who has a case of personality disorder).

Noah, the oh so perfect Noah. He had the potential to be charming and irresistible, and for a hot minute there he really was. But one minute he was hot and the next he was cold with no good reason and I just wanted to slap some sense into him. Plus he is supposed to be British, but he seems more American to me than anything (not much of the whole British lingo going on). I think the character was trying a bit too hard, and danced with the line between jackass and sweetheart a bit too frequently for my taste. At the end of the novel though I thought I saw a backbone starting to grow, so he might yet be redeemed if he gets his act straight and decides who he really wants to be. He is not the boy of my dreams, but he could definitely make a lot of girls swoon (I wouldn't blame you).

Mara... she is pretty cool actually. She is a cynical geek who likes sarcasm, and for that I love her. She is also a little bit, well, crazy. Through the novel we get to see her battle against hallucinations, memory blockage, and an overprotective mother who wants to commit her. I like her as a character, and you should always like your main character. At the end there she really screw things up. It was all kind of confusing, since her "power" is all kinds of confusing and I still don't know what to make out of it, but it just depends on what happens in the next book I guess when they finally give us some much needed answers that then I shall review the things that happened in this book and then decide how worthy of being the female lead she is.

Finally my favourite part of the whole book was the dialogue. I love Mara's dialogue, it was just so funny and it flowed so well. The author is a good writer, and the story plus dialogue keeps you engrossed.

But the thing about this book is that it feels like I can't really decide on anything until I read the next instalment because I need to know the base of the powers and how they work and why they work the way they work. For right now the things that happened can be seemed as terrible accidents or the makings of a serial killer. Plus the ending was a little "What the fuck!" -ish, and what ends up happening is so surprising that I can't help but want to get my hands on the next book right now.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you liked this one even if it wasn't exactly what you were expecting. I know once hype gets around for a certain book you almost feel like you need to love that book because everyone else did.

    I actually loved this one, the writing/dialogue is amazing and I did like the characters and the ending left me dying for the second book.

    I hope we get all those questions answered in the second book :)

    Thanks for the amazing review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Noah leaned way too heavily on the asshole side for me to like him; consequently the latter half of the book which focused on him a lot wasn't that pleasing to me. However I loved the ending and it is enough to get me to pick up the second book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I've heard a lot of hype about this one too and I only just picked it up the other day. I'm looking forward to reading it though, and from what you say here it seems like a worthwhile read.

    Thanks for reviewing this book! Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for reviewing the first book. I keep seeing posts about the second and people being excited for it, but I couldn't decide if I wanted to start another series. And I think I do, but I think I'm going to come late to this party and wait until they are all out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard a lot of complaints about Noah ...that's why I still haven't picked this book up.

    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right on the money. I'd heard this book was good, and it was, but it fell far short of being great. I, too, was more confused after it ended than when it began. It was definitely a little uneven. Also the jumping between past and present, dreams and reality made it hard to follow at times.

    Definitely looking forward to the next installment, curiosity if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...